From Mark Hume’s Globe and Mail article:
“When the government of B.C. agreed in 2006 to protect the Great Bear Rainforest, it won widespread praise and the Gift to the Earth award from the World Wildlife Fund.”
In a report handed down last week, July 23 the Forest Practices Board reached a surprising conclusion.
The B.C. government is considering protecting some of the last grand old-growth Douglas Fir in the Great Bear Rainforest. The local community on Sonora Island has recommended an area called the Sonora Island Giants Protected Area that best preserves the largest area of rare original forest in the southern Great Bear Rainforest. TimberWest has made a counter proposal. Consistent with their blatant disregard for protecting old-growth in their Great Bear Rainforest tenures, TimberWest has refused to include hundreds of giant trees in their currently proposed protected area (called the Thurlow BMTA).
Please SIGN THIS PETITION and contact the ministry before August 10, 2015.
Let them know you support a new Sonora Island Giants Protected Area, but it must be enlarged to protect the rare rainforest giants that TimberWest has omitted because they want to log them. The province is ready to consider a protected area. This is a great opportunity to make sure they get it right.
Please add you name to the petition found here.
Please email comments to:
- Great Bear Rainforest Land Use Order/BMTAs/Conservancy
Ministry of Forests, Lands, and Natural Resource Operations (West Coast Region)
- Rory Annett – Rory.Annett@gov.bc.ca (Executive Director – Coastal Projects Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations)
- Domenico Iannidinardo – IannidinardoD@timberwest.com (Chief Forester, TimberWest)
- Rick Jeffrey – Jeffery@coastforest.org (Executive Director, Coastal Forest Products Association)
- Eduardo Sousa – firstname.lastname@example.org (Greenpeace)
- Valerie Langer – email@example.com (Forest Ethics Solutions)
- Jens Weiting – firstname.lastname@example.org (Sierra Club of British Columbia)
- Sonora Island Community – email@example.com
“I support the creation of a new Sonora Island Giants Protected Area, but the current proposal must be expanded to include the rare and at risk old-growth and original forests contained in the local community’s proposal.”
Check out these great blog posts on Sonora’s old-growth:
- The Gentle Stand – Sonora Islanders Get Tough with TimberWest (by ForestEthics)
“Islanders Stand up for Our Forests”